About an Unbalanced Woman


ABOUT THIS BLOG: When did life get so busy? I've given up on 'having it all' and achieving that ideal work/life balance. In this blog I'm celebrating the reality of an unbalanced life. Join me in the celebration.

NEW YEAR, NEW BLOG ADDRESS

BLOGS WILL NOW APPEAR AT unbalanced-woman.com

Please come and have a look around my new Unbalanced home.

Facebook: Unbalanced Woman
Twitter: @UnbalancedW
Email me: unbalancedwoman@gmail.com

Sunday 28 August 2016

Pay it forward

A waitress in Wagamama just made me cry!
To clarify: it was in a good way with a really lovely act of kindness.
I've been shopping in the Trafford Centre which has one of those massive dining areas with lots of fast food options round the edge. I really didn't fancy a McDonalds or a Spud-u-Like, or fighting for a seat, or being glared at for taking up a table for 4 when it's just me. You get the picture. So I decided to treat myself and go to Wagamama. I love their food and their smoothies and it was relatively quiet. But usually I find eating alone takes a bit of courage, or at least a book to hide behind!
I was feeling brave enough but once seated I started to feel that self-conscious urge to get my phone out so I don't have to look at anyone or acknowledge my lone-eater status.
Then I decided not to give in to that uncomfortable tradition. Instead to be confident and just really enjoy my food and surroundings. And I really did. It was kind of liberating to just relax and smile and think for a while, and not care about anyone else.
When it came time to pay my bill I got talking to my waitress about eating alone and how she also tends to hide behind a laptop or a book. I told her about this blog, where I talk about worrying less and me trying not to care what other people think so much. She was so supportive and said that she'd have a look at the blog and that she'd like to pay for my meal.
I was absolutely gobsmacked!! You hear about these lovely acts of kindness but now it's happened to me it made me tear up.
I went back to her as I was leaving and thanked her again and she said, no problem just pay it forward.
So then I've been finishing my shopping and wondering how to do that. How could I pay that kindness foward. Eventually the answer felt obvious, to find another woman eating on her own, congratulate her for having the confidence to enjoy a meal for one, and buy her lunch for her.
So that's what I've just done. And a lovely lady called Christine in Yo Sushi was kind enough to accepted my gesture. (I should add that approaching a woman on her own and offering to buy her lunch is also a tad nerve wracking!! I hope you weren't too frightened by me Christine!)
She's agreed that she will also pay it forward to another lone-eater. I hope she does, and I hope whoever that lady is will feel how I feel right now... That as Unbalanced as we may all be sometimes, women (and men!) are usually kind and supportive of each other. Whether it's a random act of kindness, a compliment or just a simple smile, we can really make someone's day.
So here's to enjoying a meal for one. And here's to all the wonderful people out there who've created a random act of kindness. I'm looking at you Liz, my lovely Wagamama waitress. Thank you!!
If you've been involved in a Random Act of Kindness or Pay It Forward type of thing, I'd love to hear about it. Please tell me.

UPDATE: Christine got in touch! 
" I was the lucky recipient of lunch!!!! I was so touched by the gesture - it really really made my day!! It was great to meet you and thank you once again. I paid the act of kindness forward and bought a mum and son on the next counter an afternoon tea cakey treat. They were as thrilled as I was and promised to keep the chain going. Thanks again - you were a little ray of sunshine for me today xx "
What a lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment