About an Unbalanced Woman


ABOUT THIS BLOG: When did life get so busy? I've given up on 'having it all' and achieving that ideal work/life balance. In this blog I'm celebrating the reality of an unbalanced life. Join me in the celebration.

NEW YEAR, NEW BLOG ADDRESS

BLOGS WILL NOW APPEAR AT unbalanced-woman.com

Please come and have a look around my new Unbalanced home.

Facebook: Unbalanced Woman
Twitter: @UnbalancedW
Email me: unbalancedwoman@gmail.com

Wednesday 31 August 2016

No make-up?

Oh dear. I've just had to have a word with myself!

I read this article about people's reactions to Alicia wearing no make-up to a red carpet event and I had 3 thoughts within a split second...

1. Good for her
2. How dare people judge her
3. I couldn't do it. Surely she could have got away with some mascara!!

And it's the last one that shocked me. Why do I feel like that? Who set the rule that I feel I have to follow?

Now first of all, let's be clear. I don't go to red carpet events very often. OK, ever. And actually I'm not a big make-up wearer at the best of times. But there are days when I feel I NEED to wear it.

Last night for example. I had a hospital appointment at 7pm. I was working at home during the day so it was scruffy clothes and bare face. But I felt the need to slap a bit on to go to see a doctor. For fucks sake, why?

I remember thinking, "I look rough". So foundation, mascara, lipstick and suddenly I feel ready. Ready for what? Did I think the doctor would give me different test results if I look less rough??

Of course it's ridiculous.

And yet, tomorrow when I go to London to a big meeting, I will definitely wear make-up because I do feel more confident when I feel I look nicer.

Is that wrong?

I totally support any woman's decision to go make-up free or to contour the fuck out of their face. Whatever makes you happy. Men too.

I am questioning why people even need to talk about it. Why do people feel the need to support or condone Alicia by commenting on Twitter. Is the point she's making that it's not important what anyone else thinks?

I don't know. Ultimately I don't care. My test results were all clear, so clearly wearing make-up worked for me!

http://indy100.independent.co.uk/article/alicia-keys-didnt-wear-makeup-to-the-vmas-and-got-publicly-shamed-for-it--WJQOIng57dW

No comments:

Post a Comment