About an Unbalanced Woman


ABOUT THIS BLOG: When did life get so busy? I've given up on 'having it all' and achieving that ideal work/life balance. In this blog I'm celebrating the reality of an unbalanced life. Join me in the celebration.

NEW YEAR, NEW BLOG ADDRESS

BLOGS WILL NOW APPEAR AT unbalanced-woman.com

Please come and have a look around my new Unbalanced home.

Facebook: Unbalanced Woman
Twitter: @UnbalancedW
Email me: unbalancedwoman@gmail.com

Monday 21 March 2016

Confessions of an Unbalanced Woman

Today I experienced sheer horror. And it was my own doing. I heard myself saying to a friend, "Want to pop round for a quick coffee?" and as she said yes, I pictured my house. The state of it. 

I knew, in that moment, that I would have to apologise. For dirty breakfast dishes that haven't quite made it to the sink; for laundry decorating every radiator and for the bathroom. God forbid she would want to use the bathroom as it is left after my family use it in quick succession in the rush to school and work.


"Yes, that would be great." she said, "But can you give me half an hour first? I just need to pop to the post office." I wanted to kiss her. 

The relief. I would have time to destroy all evidence of my disgusting normality. And instead greet her with my Fake Reality - the perfect level of tidy, that shows I'm naturally clean but not obsessive. It's a fine art.

Do we all do this? Do we all have those little things that we cant even reveal to our close friends? I think we might. So I'm sharing a few of my Fake Reality secrets...

1. My towels don't match and co-ordinate with my bathroom tiles. Of course I have a set that do, and they are brought out fresh and smelling of Spring Meadow fabric softener when we have guests. But the rest of the time, it's every man for himself. Grab any towel you can find that's not been taken to the swimming baths, left on the shower floor or covered in toothpaste by a small child. 

2. And that posh ESPA handwash goes back in the cupboard when you leave, to be replaced by a normal Tesco one. 

3. I always have flowers on my table. That's one of my things. But before they reach a vase or the table they will have spent around two days in a pint glass of water near the sink, still suffocating in their supermarket wrapper. 

4. There are cupboards and drawers (within touching distance of any surprise guest) that are filled to bursting point, and I don't know what with. Most probably items that were hastily hidden when someone else popped round, and then long forgotten. If I ever clean out a drawer I'm so pleased with myself that I expect someone to give me a certificate of excellence for my genuine tidiness

5. That storage box in the corner is propping a skirting board that came away from the wall about five months ago. Of course I should go to the garage, get out a hammer and panel pins from our great assortment of DIY nonsense. Of course I could fix it in about three minutes. But, the box was there already. Or in the same room at least.




3 comments:

  1. I love a lived in house... my favourite cupboards are the messy herbs and spices cupboard. Who wants a boring, magazine spread worthy house? Not me!... now just off to hide the drawing stuff off the Dining table and into a cupboard. It's driving me nuts ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our 'Dining Table' should be renamed as 'Coat-hook- letter-rack- toy-display-area- shopping-dumping Table used for occasional Dining'.

      Delete
  2. I love a lived in house... my favourite cupboards are the messy herbs and spices cupboard. Who wants a boring, magazine spread worthy house? Not me!... now just off to hide the drawing stuff off the Dining table and into a cupboard. It's driving me nuts ��

    ReplyDelete